Thursday, October 18, 2012

Ticket Out the door!


use every minute possible!

Another strategy i use is to use every single minute i have with my students.  math is a difficult subject for most students, and they need multiple examples before the concept sticks.  there is never a down minute in my class.  As a middle school math teacher, it is natural that the kids start packing up five minutes before the bell.....grrrrr!  to counter this, i tried numerous tactics....the threat (more homework folks), covering up the clock or taking it down altogether (hehehe), and then gave up and read to them the last five minutes.  Which I know...you are thinking...why?  she's a math teacher.  Well, let's face it, even adults enjoy being read to.  many of them are not read to at home as a child, and they sat there soaking up every word (even ones i stubbled on - i was never the best reader).  I eventually got to the point where i only read on fridays during the last five minutes of class.  So...what did i do the rest of the week you ask.  that those few minutes when kiddos pack up and are gearing up to move to their next class, I prepped my ticket out the door.  most folks who use ticket out the door give the entire class a math problem, students solve it on a slip of paper, and hand it to the teacher on their way out.  Well, i changed mine up.  I knew vocabulary was a big struggle for many students, as well as applying the vocabulary.  So I made about 30 ticket out the door cards, which ask various questions.  I leveled them with stars to remind me of which questions are easy, medium, and hard.  Therefore, every student gets a different question on their way out (and I purposely ask different students different questions based on their level).  Here is what one set looks like...
 

 
 
You can't see the stars for levels on this one because I added it after I printed these.  These questions focus on place value, rounding, greater/less than, expanded form, prime/composite, factors, multiples, odd/even, and doubling numbers.  I plan to make one bundle per objective, place value, geometry, measurement, probability, and patterns.  I use this as a ticket out the door, but it can also be used for a restroom break if you go as a class or any transition time. hope you find a good use for them.
~Shannon~ 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! My kids go straight to recess after math, so knowing a question answer gets them out quicker, maybe they will be more motivated:-)

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do this sort of thing everyday with every class. I draw a blank on questions sometimes, so keeping them on a ring by the door helps to keep me on my toes. I need to get busy working on my next set for fractions.
      Welcome!

      Delete