Sunday, April 14, 2013

Money! Money! Money!

So...my kids like most struggle with learning how to count money.  I grabbed a small group of my fourth graders of various skill levels to test out my next PLC activity.  After piloting my unit with these fourth graders, I have already made some revisions and editing.  Those who have won, or bought the unit - you'll need to download it again.  I basically added about three variations of ways to differentiate for different levels of learners, as well as made the coins smaller (they'll fit better on the assessment page). 

I use the 5-E model to lesson planning.  I have no pic of my engage piece because it was too difficult to play with the kids and take pics.  So...I'll explain it.  I got the cutest little dice erasers from the $1 Target bin.  I poured out all my coin manipulatives.  Each student (groups of 4) rolled their die.  I picked one person to roll for quarters, a different student for dimes, and so on.  Every student had to model the amount and come up with the total amount.  We discuss..."What if we had no dimes, but had to make the same amount?" 

I explain the center.  Btw...this is what I edited in the directions.  The sets are made up of four cards (pictorial representation, counting by denomination, total amount, and word form).  The first activity for the center, I would have students match the pictorial representation with the word form.  Let them practice that for a few days.  The next activity, we would match the pictorial with adding the various denominations for a few days.  We would move on to matching the pictorial with the total amount.  Lastly, they would match the entire set of four.  A challenge option is taking away the pictorial model and having students match the word form and total. 

So here's the pictures....
He's making a match and recording it on his recording sheet.  But you can see the manipulatives we used to do our Engage piece.
This is all the cards, which was overwhelming for some kids.  That's why, I suggest matching two cards, then move on to the entire set (4 cards) after they master the others.
Checking her set of four. 
Assessment piece.  I've included three different pages, to help with differentiation.  I always like to give everyone in the group a different test/assessment so that I can tell whether every student got it.  It's the middle school teacher in me. hahaha  Here, you see her cutting out her coins to make her given amounts.  Sometimes, I "accidently" don't run off enough of a certain denomination.  This helps me to see who REALLY knows it. 
Like I said, I made some quick changes to unit based on using it.  The coins are smaller, closer to exact real-life size and should now fit on the assessment page.  I added more descriptors in the directions to help break down the four set to help the center last longer and not too challenging for struggling learners.  I also added a page for the TEKS correlations for my Texas teachers.  Here is the link...

I'm also planning a raffle for reaching 100 Followers!  Only a few more folks!  And I have lots of great folks donating Awesome products!!!!


pssst....I'm doing a giveaway this week for my primary teachers.  It is my On The Case, The Hunt for Tens Addition Center.  It's focus is using Singapore Math strategies of number bonds to look for tens.  Click on the picture to enter.....Good Luck! 




No comments:

Post a Comment